Wednesday, September 10, 2014

my experience with technology in school

Starting in elementary school i was introduced to technology, i can't remember what grade, but i remember the software still to this day. It was the best part of my week usually, when we got to go use the computer lab with Mr. Plueler. Although everyone thought he was a little weird, he was always the well liked teacher in the school. The software was mostly games, but they had a lot of education behind them. I always played the one with the cooking games in it, and had to find the letters throughout the kitchen. Obviously that was the younger grades. So moving up in grades the computer technology became more typing based, and learning how to type and hold our hands and fingers, although that wasn't as much fun, it was still the best part of the week. I have always tried to find the software since, because i loved being able to play those games and get the education behind it, and also i really wanted it for my students when i open my own preschool.

Going from elementary school to middle school i thought that i would lose out on all that computer based time weekly, but i was wrong. At the beginning of middle school the first thing i started doing based on technology was go to the library with my class for research, that was 6th grade. In 7th grade though technology started to become more frequent, there was never computers in the classrooms just in the library section, but for my math class she usually had us down in the tech room, which we used for taking tests or practicing math online, or doing homework. Not my favorite thing considering i really don't like math, Although, i wasn't a huge fan of doing the math, it really helped me for college which i also used a computer based math program, oddly enough. Then in 8th grade i was taught how to use Peapod which was the virtual grocery store, My teacher has us get assigned a "job" and then with our virtual money we had pay for our house and loans and cars, and then use Peapod online and learn how to use online for things you can do in your everyday life, and i still remember how to use the website.

In high school computer time was way less frequent after freshman year. Freshman are usually forced to take a computer class which helps you with using all the Microsoft software, and how to keep track of your school work and how to type papers correctly and type the write way with your hands. That class was honestly a drag, but i did get some things out of it. As for after freshman year for me computer time was based on the teacher and the only other computers in the school were only in the library and them along with the computers in the computer class were slow and ancient to be honest. The teachers really tried to stay clear of the library at all times unless they gave us time for a research paper or other projects. Some other computer classes were available throughout high school but i did not take them.

In the first college i was at i didn't really use a computer in class except for my math class which was all on computers, as far as i was told we usually were not allowed to bring computers to class, but that was based on the professor. Obviously i was using my computer on my own to do papers and homework, but not a lot of computer time was offered throughout the classes. Now in Southern New Hampshire though there are certain teachers who want you to use your computer and some that really don't want technology in the classrooms at all.

All in all i have had a really great time with technology and being allowed to use it throughout my childhood and i am very grateful for the experiences i have had to help me now with learning more about technology and how to bring it into a preschool classroom if i open my own. I hope that everyone else has had the same or better experiences than me!

6 comments:

  1. In 5th grade it was my first year being in the middle school. We also had to take a computer class to learn where the keys are on the keyboard... and I agree that wasn't much fun at all. I really liked how in your high school freshmen are in-tilted to take a computer class. That would have benefitted me a ton if I had that kind of opportunity. I also think its great to incorporate technology with your preschoolers, being so young it'll get them going at a really young age but it'll be able to open up their minds and teach them new experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine being in 5th grade and having to already be in middle school. No, the computer class with having to keep your hands straight on the keys was never my favorite thing! Yeah, my freshman computer class really helped me so much, as annoying as it was sometimes, it was extremely beneficial. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. Hey Katelyn! Cool story on your experience, my expericne seems to be quite similar actually. So aside from required instruction using computers, was there ever a time when you would seek out advice/instruction solely for your own benefit? Because for me, when I was placed in a computers class, I had no clue how to do anything really but I wanted to learn more so I went to one of the tech guys at my school and asked him to kind of show me the ropes. Also, how would you like to use technology in your future pre-school class, if you plan on using it at all? Great story though, see you in class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't seek out advice/instruction very often, if i did it was a quick question here or there. We didn't have tech guys but that is beneficial that you were able to do that, sometimes when i was stuck that probably could of helped me so much better with questions! For my preschool i would really like to use technology by having a couple computers in the class with children's technology and education games put on it!

      Delete
  3. Hi Katelyn,

    It is so great that you got to start with technology so early. I am sure those games you got to play were extremely beneficial to current understanding of technology. In my elementary school we were lucky to be able to use the single computer in the classroom. There was a computer lab but we rarely used it. I also experienced the higher integration when I entered middle school and high school. We used the numerous computer labs weekly for research and to be introduced to typing programs and educational games. I used technology very often freshman year of high school so our experiences were very different that year. Also in college my first year I had my computer with my constantly and always needed it for all of my classes. Now I do not need it as much at SNHU but I still like to have it with me just in case! I like your ideas for integrating technology in your preschool! Great Post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The games i played were most definitely beneficial starting with technology young. I am sorry that you didn't have many sources to use technology with in elementary school. Hopefully you will take the knowledge you gained through this class and be able to bring it with you to benefit you now! Yes, my freshman year was not very fulfilling! I agree that SNHU does not use technology as much as i thought they would allow it, but i also always bring mine too! Thank you!

      Delete